Learn How to Care for your Aging Trans PatientsOct 09, 2023
Everyone who lives ages!!! Trans patients have special needs for inclusive and affirming geriatric care. Everything that aging cis patients face, trans patients face as well with the added need for care to be culturally sensitive. I strongly believe gender affirming care is more than providing hormones- it is like standard precautions and trauma-informed care. It should be incorporated at every level of care.
Some of my favorite resources for learning more geriatric trans healthcare are:
- QueerCME’s Didactics- September, October, and November 2023 are all focused on aging while trans
- National LGBTQAI+ Health Education Center Webinars (with free CE)
- SAGE Brochure: Understanding the Issues Facing Elderly LGBTQ+ People
- SAGE Brochure: Person-centered, Trauma-informed Care of Transgender Older Adults
- TransHub: some good patient handouts (australian based)
- Equity in Aging CE
- End-of-Life Care Article
These resources are a combination of CE/CME webinars, brochures, articles, and resources. They give a good overview of the issues and considerations. Much information is missing on healthy aging while trans and more research is needed.
SUBSCRIBE FOR MONTHLY UPDATES
QueerCME distriputes a monthly newsletter which details our content updates. We also offer free live stream didactic sessions on topics in gender affirming healthcare, so we send out reminders around those as well.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.